Magnet Focus: The Arts
At Stratton, teachers facilitate student learning through art-integrated units of study that emphasize Design Thinking Strategies. Students are able to exercise their voice and choose from a variety of Art Studios to participate in daily. Each grade level unit culminates in a public showcase to which parents and the community are invited. At the 5th grade level, the Art themes are reintegrated through a Design Learning project that blends entrepreneurial skills, planning and budgeting with the arts. Students are involved in authentic, useful and valuable experiences so they can blossom into leaders in our ever-changing global economy.
Who We Are
Stratton Elementary of the Arts is dedicated to empowering students to become lifelong learners in pursuit of their dreams. Our Core Beliefs, backed by evidence-based research, convey the value and power of arts education and provide the foundation for an arts academy that promotes diversity, increases choice and supports student achievement.
- The arts ignite interest in all kinds of learning.
- Participation in the arts builds crucial 21st century skills such as creativity, problem solving and critical thinking.
- The arts are a vehicle for empowering students.
TechnologyEvery classroom at Stratton features a SMART Board which teachers incorporate into daily lessons. Students in grades 3-5 have access ot their own laptops, while each grade level in the primary grades has their own class set of laptops. Teachers regularly use these laptops to support daily lessons.
Mentors and Volunteers
In 2013, Stratton had over 2,000 hours of mentoring and volunteering. Clocking those hours were members of the Big Brothers Big Sisters Mentors, TALKS Mentors, C-U One-to-One Mentors, America Reads/America Counts Tutors, and a variety of parent volunteers.
- School Uniform Dress Code
- Student-run City Council
- Active Stratton Family Alliance
- Family Reading Night
- Movie Night
- Game Night
- Spring Picnic
- Teacher Appreciation
- Gifted Education Classes (Grades 2-5)
- School-Wide Enrichment
- Stephen Covey's The Leader in Me Training
- America Reads/America Counts/C-U One-to-One Mentoring
- ESL After School Tutoring
- Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports (PBIS)
- Artist in Residence
- Kids Plus After School Program
- Regional Office of Education 21st Century Learning After School Program
- Summit After School Program
- After School Clubs
- Golden Voices CHoir
- Sewing Club
- Basketball Club (Spring)
- Chess Club (Spring)
- WILL-Illinois Public Media
- The IDEA Store
- University of Illinois' Business Council
- Eastern Illinois Food Bank
- Krannert Art Museum
- College of Fine and Applied Art
- Rookie MicroSociety School of the Year
- Battle of the Books Winner